Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Bass Conditons Don't always Produce as Expected


On Friday, the large pond apparently full of big bass produced four hits, two very good-size bass caught at sunny, rather hot noontime, conditions we might think unfavorable. Today I fished almost as long under billowing clouds and temperatures in the 70's, rain fell for five or ten minutes, and I got one hit on the Chompers worm, catching this two-pound bass.

I've noticed over the years how we tend to stereotype favorable and unfavorable conditions, and yet the fishing log I keep doesn't mark such conveniently simple formulas. Many times "bad" fishing conditions result in better catches than "good." This isn't to suggest that bass don't respond to their environment, but it is to observe that conditions and how bass respond are subtler than I expect a lot of the time.

Surface calmed and made me want to try a topwater plug, but with so little time, I kept casting and pitching the worm, mostly only allowing initial drops before reeling in to move on, fishing close to cover and getting the take in two or three of water dropping quick from the bank.

Fair enough to say I should have experimented with worm color or tried that topwater plug. With about 35 minutes to fish, I stuck with the darkish green color. I've fished when a change of color made all the difference. Who knows. But it was less of a catch than I expected in any event.

I like how our recent Hopatcong adventure turned out. Classic. Just as clouds had thickened and the thunderstorm approached, the bass began to hit like crazy. Had we stayed out there and risked getting killed, we would have caught many more, I'm sure. But it's not worth being unwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered