Friday, September 29, 2017

Dawn Photo Shoot


Awoke a 6:00 a.m., quickly drank some seltzer water--since no juice was in the fridge--and then, a second before I walked out the door, told my wife I would be home soon. I was a little nervous I might be too late, sky already brightening a little, but I had plenty of time to park in the main ramp area, walk over the dike, and position beyond the Tongue to set up my tripod and camera. All of this walking and doing felt pleasant. Not only was I in the process of fulfilling that promise to myself of coming over here at dawn for a photo shoot, I felt 100% better than last time I was here on the 15th.

I sat for a half hour, it seemed, before sun poked up just to the right of the highest Cushetunk peak. In the process of shooting, I realized I have never before waited on sunrise. So many times fishing I've experienced it, but never before by just sitting and waiting. And for a minute or so, I felt elated. Unlike ever before in relation to sun coming up. And then I felt like a fool for a few seconds, because for more years than I can account for exactly, I've heard of people talk about greeting sunrise, and now I realized I'd taken the likes for granted. Sunrise. I've experienced this hundreds of times. While fishing, that is. Involved in something else, really. Never by sitting still until it comes up.

Or by clamming. I used to watch it rise over Long Beach Island, though I remember sunsets....and come to think of that, I did experience some awesome responses. I used to stop treading, hold my basket of clams, and watch the sun go down. I saw its motion as it sank below horizon. Legally, I should have been getting in my boat.

I might have mentioned in a previous post that I will have to make more sunrise ventures yet. I have 10 years or more of shooting to do, before I select photos for the book. I figured I would walk the dike and position near the Tongue, which I did, but probably realize in the process another opportunity for next time. I did. Next time I need to walk the trail further for another position. I thought of getting rocks in the shot, and I might be able to do this, possibly by setting the tripod behind some jagging outward right at shore edge.

Two guys fished for rainbows at the Tongue. Another guy by the gravel ramp. Nothing caught, which doesn't surprise me after the heat. Temperature this morning was probably about 50. Seventies and 80's are forecast for the next 10 days, though some cooler weather until the 2nd bodes better for Joe Landolfi and I on Lake Hopatcong Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered