Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ice Fishing Near Zero Degrees


Three degrees with a negative 13 wind chill when Matt checked his mobile device before dawn, the temperature was supposed to dip to one degree by 8:00 a.m.  By then, we had shiners under tip-ups in the water of Lake Hopatcong's River Styx--Michael Vandenberg, Matt, myself. Setting up required some use of bare hands. Wind felt like mercury running over skin. And it was important to keep a scarf over the lower face--felt painful exposed--while the eyes and forehead remained open without any trouble.

It was difficult pumping the premix gas from the tank into the carb, because in the severe cold, the flexible plastic bulb wasn't malleable as it normally is. But I managed to get the engine running after five minutes or so, but then found the blade refused to cut as it should. Last year on Budd Lake with Mike Maxwell, it wasn't up to par, either, but now it was a lot worse, as if the blade had dulled a lot more over the summer exposed to weather, though it is stainless. Whatever is the case, I cut about half of the 10 holes with the power auger, while Matt cut eight inches of ice with the splitting bar, opening the other holes faster than I could. I canceled plans to ice fish on my day off Tuesday, and will take the blade to Warren instead, where a lawnmower shop does this kind of work.

I've owned the power auger since November or December 2011; first used it January 2013, I believe. Very happy with it so far, and hope that the blades now stay sharp awhile. We may get out and ice fish the next Tuesday.

We cut holes fairly near a protected spot by the bridge, perhaps 150 yards distant at most from that spot where we took refuge with a Thermos of coffee and a small propane heater out of the wind, while keeping an eye out for any flags. I had been a little nervous about the extreme cold. I've ice fished at zero twice before with full confidence, though on each of these outings, we fished where we could build a big fire and did so, keeping warm. On this outing at River Styx, Saturday morning January 6th, Matt and I dressed in six or seven layers, a couple of wool layers closest to the skin, and our main torsos never complained. I would like to purchase a full body winter suit, but can't quite afford that, given the little I fish in extreme weather. My legs weren't cold. I had a wool base layer and wool pants over that, but they did feel too exposed. The way you want to feel out there is internally protected. Comfortable. Thoroughly.

Although counterintuitive, since my fish sense told me better water is further out towards the main lake and eight-foot depths, I couldn't deny pickerel might hold in the weeds of six feet we fished. I've caught pickerel through the ice of Lake Hopatcong three feet deep. This wasn't going to be an all-day, deeply involved outing, and even if we did have all day, with the power auger not cutting as it should, we would have been crippled, except for Matt's young vitality with that splitting bar. So we cut fairly close to where we stayed out of that brisk wind.

I had to nap for a couple of hours before going into work at 2:00. Driving home, I felt the need of sleep come on heavily, and then again after 10:00 last night, so I'm composing this blog post the next morning. But the work shift never fell out from under me; the most important factor involved keeping on top of the job. It was a tough one with a lot to do I got done, and a lot of customers seemingly revving up for football, making demands.

Beauty visited us out there. I have to admit I sometimes feel I don't do this planet the service it deserves. I have to place my commitments first in money. Bills to pay. Beauty is the most patient reality. It is shy. It will touch you on the eyelashes just to remind you that whenever you might be ready, she will always, always be there waiting for you.




2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Can't believe you guys actually went in that weather. Extreme fisherman indeed. Happy New year! JH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Jorge! I was hoping it would be five below. Who knows, maybe another time we'll beat zero.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Encouraged and Answered