Thursday, March 29, 2018

Warbling

This post comes quickly on the heels of the former I posted earlier in the day. It's very early in the morning now. About Bedminster Pond, there's another pond up the highway further I've never been to, though I'm told the hike into it is pretty far and the fishing declining steeply compared to former years. I wanted to fish there with Mike Maxwell last spring, who had fished it a year or two before, and Fred chimed in about the place, fishing it during the fall for one bass, if I recall rightly (he can fill me in), but I'm still curious about it.

Ancillary to this fishery going south, apparently, I hear the Paulinskill Lake, not the lake closer to Newton, the lake close to the Delaware River, may vanish entirely, as the Columbia Dam is targeted for removal. I'm thinking of fishing that lake this summer, putting the squareback on it. Someone told me about a six-pound largemouth caught there; Fred knows where to launch, I'm sure I recall rightly. Big bass like that... Every year, I hope for a largemouth as big or bigger than the lunker I caught at Round Valley four years ago, slightly better than five pounds, but I don't hope too much, because it never seems to happen, although I lost one two years ago of about five pounds on Spruce Run Reservoir.

Steve Vullo says he and I will fish late in April, and I have my hopes this will work out. Vullo certainly does offer me the chance, if indeed we go, of boating a really big bass, because this man knows where to find them. Notice that the small lakes and large ponds I report on result in plenty of largemouths better than three pounds, but these two lunkers I just told you about came from reservoirs. That's where Vullo fishes too, the big reservoirs especially.

Spring is here, despite this wintry weather. I felt surprised at warbler calls--worm eating warblers, I think, first to arrive each year--in a tree canopy while walking Sadie this afternoon. Then I looked at the pond and saw some brown algae scum on the surface. Water temperature, however, has not been out of the 40's. Just as if spring changes happen anyway, despite this cold. Maple buds are big and red, too.

Checked on a post...was it 2013 or 2012? Pretty sure 2012. Yes. Proves I've known Fred going on six years, not five; wow, time does move along. That initiating event in Lakehurst was a whalloping good time, involving no less than mystical connection at nighttime success with largemouths on topwater plugs. Two of those bass almost seemed to leap into my kayak, they were so revved at chasing my plug, clear out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered