Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Expected Rising Rainbow Trout


Matt told me today or last night that twice recently he checked on the local river (North Branch Raritan) at Miller Lane, witnessing rising rainbow trout at sundown. Since he couldn't get off work by 3:30 as we assumed he would when we made plans, we didn't go to Tilcon Lake, but over here to Matt's spot instead, fly casting.

We got there almost two hours before sundown, any trout ignoring our dry flies, so I switched to a worm fly, then to a beadhead black stonefly size 12, because I wanted to get down near bottom fast and stay there. I'm pretty sure I had a trout on, because whatever I hooked moved, though it is possible that was a sunken stick. I never felt the pulsation of a fish. Whatever it was that got hooked moved aside, then came off.

We saw a couple of trout make splash rises, but they never came up in the great numbers Matt had seen. Nor did we see much of a hatch. Had we seen a definite hatch, we would have seen trout come up for the bugs.

Water remains very chilly. Trout fishing should be good--sometimes--for awhile yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered