Sunday, June 3, 2018

Round Valley Wind and Fish


My Sunday off, Matt had to work at noon. After we had breakfast in Chester as a family, I spent part of the afternoon getting a relay for my car's air conditioner. Not available in Somerville, me misled to Hillsborough and finally dealing with a couple of good people at Autozone Bound Brook, it took awhile, but my family got to Round Valley Reservoir after 6:00, feeling as if enjoying a late October day, chilly wind building water up in Ranger Cove.

I focused on two corners where whatever stuff carried by wave action would go no further. I used the same worm I recently caught my Mount Hope Pond bass on. Matt began with a 5/8th-ounce buzzbait, catching a little rock bass. I've never before seen such a little fish smack such a big lure and get caught. He switched to a spinnerbait, and in the meantime, I caught a rock bass almost 10 inches long on that worm, and then a little largemouth of about seven inches.

We walked further back to the next corner where I've caught bass before. When the reservoir was full. Matt cast from a point existing as an edge between wave action and quiet water of the cove-like corner, catching an 11-inch smallmouth bass. I stood and cast far downwind from him, catching another big rock bass, and then a largemouth of about nine inches. Matt walked down to face the wind with me and missed a hit.

I had the sense the fish were pretty active and vulnerable to a variety of lures, compared to when the typical blue skies and calm surface makes them scarce.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered