Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Ice Season Lingering On

Phoned Landolfi and he can't ice fish tomorrow. I had emailed Laurie; she replied telling me they're still on the ice in her cove, at the State Park, and back in River Styx. The latter is most interesting to me, but not in the shallows in back, and I'm afraid the main narrows where water's about eight feet deep might not be safe. Guess it would be her cove. But we troll that cove in May, and besides one spot all the way across, just don't hook anything. The only exception was a nice brown trout for Landolfi out in the middle over 25 feet of water. Don't want to cross that with ice a bit dicey.

What a season! Most that linger on into March have been accompanied by thick ice, if not very thick ice, but over the course of this season, the thickest I read about came to me as information from Jim Stabile about eight to 10 inches on Monksville Reservoir. Most figures elsewhere were of about seven inches at most.

Did Tilcon ever have much safe ice? I imagine it did some, but I won't drive over there tomorrow. The situation does remind of last year. I kept telling Oliver Round I didn't think it was safe. Week after week for about three running I blew us both off, finally deciding to give it a shot. To my astonishment, we found the ice 10 inches thick, so if we were to go tomorrow, who knows....

Maybe next year. Who knows, maybe next week.

Laurie says she expects business this weekend. And it seems possible I might get on the ice with my son a week from tomorrow.

https://littonsfishinglines.blogspot.com/2018/02/altered-tip-up-placement-makes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered