Wednesday, May 1, 2019

27

Microlight is how I catch most of my trout. Salmon egging. All of us have our preferences. Fred catches plenty on jigs, and today my brother Rick fished Stony Brook, first with jigs and Power Bait in Hopewell Township, then with a fly rod and nymphs in Princeton Township; 24 of the 27 he caught on jigs, one of them just slightly under 18 inches. Four-and-a-half hours fishing.

Interesting that back in the 70's, a lot of us fished salmon eggs, but I don't remember jigs getting used at all. Maybe Fred and Noel can fill me in. I'm pretty sure the rise of the Trout Magnet began in the 80's, but maybe later.

I did use jigs, though, on native brook trout in the 70's. Shad darts. Nine-inchers hit them hard.

I don't mean to imply jigs catch more than eggs. Rick's fished eggs for decades. One day, fishing the Pohatcong Creek with eggs, he caught 175 trout on them. My highest number, I think, is 86, but I would have to confirm this against my handwritten log. That was a long time ago on the Hunterdon streams I've posted about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered