Thursday, July 11, 2019

Face-Off between the State and Business? Hopatcong's Algae


I refused to come out and state my opinion baldly from the start of the mess, because I had no firm evidence to back it. A friend of mine told me algae blooms go way back--he's in his 80's--and they never harmed anyone, but although I readily felt whatever's happened this year is overblown, I didn't want to say so on one account. But if you will read especially the first link I've offered, you'll hear Laurie Murphy speak about Joe Welsh doing his herring operation these weeks as if nothing's happened, getting no rashes. Mind her additional words, though. She's seen people swimming in the lake recently, but she recognizes that people with weak immune systems could get hurt. And she does not let her dogs near the water.

I don't think an advisory is a bad idea. And the second article is worth reading, also, because it tells of increased phosphates in the lake's water, causing algae to bloom. So apparently, it is worse now than in the past. But the lake is NOT closed. And misleading information got out that it is.

How bad is it? Not so bad as to "close the lake," which never happened, and yet electronic messages along Interstate 80 used language like "ban." Business takes the hit. It's reported that such messages are "erroneous." They are that, but I wonder about the intent. It seems to me the choice of such language is too obvious to be an honest mistake.

https://www.njherald.com/20190707/businesses-take-a-hit-from-lake-hopatcong-algae

https://www.njherald.com/20190710/crowd-sounds-off-on-impact--of-lake-hopatcong-algae


https://littonsfishinglines.blogspot.com/2017/01/open-letter-to-nj-boat-regulation.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered