Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mount Hope Pond Anticipations

Nearly all the bass I've caught on the Chompers worm I keep mentioning have taken it on the initial drop. This afternoon's first bass, about a pound a half, hit as I retrieved it with interspersed jerks, intending to get it in--though rather slowly--for its next descent. Right in close, inside the shadow line, the bass engulfed it.

The next measured 17 1/2 inches, well over three pounds. I casted the worm about two feet outside the shadow line, in about 10 feet of water; the bass hit on that initial drop. Accuracy is often very important at Mt. Hope, but this was an easy cast.

Since this largest bass here yet hit in deeper water, I switched to a Senco. At least with this type of worm I can tell when it reaches bottom even without added weight, and as I've stated before, it sinks faster. The line goes slack on bottom contact. I wait a moment, then begin a slow retrieve with occasional pulls to make the worm flutter, rigged "Wacky." Nothing.

Nonetheless, I feel closer to that possible truly large bass. I hear enough stories out and around and think that most of them are lies. Like the guy that drove up today. He looked at my Wacky worm and said, "You catch them on that!?"

"Yeah." I knew instantly I didn't care to speak to this guy.

"I fish spinnerbaits!" He said. "Last year I got no bass here less than four or five pounds."

"They're big here," I said, walking by him without stopping. Only fools catch no bass less than four or five pounds in New Jersey. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered