Monday, October 1, 2012

Burnham Park Pond Morristown New Jersey: Where are the Fish?

 That's probably the first photograph I've featured with pond fountains, five of them in the lower Burnham Park Pond. A lot of people must like these because they have become very popular in the last decade or longer. They all look the same, identical commodities in ponds that without them look a lot more appealing to my eye anyhow. Nothing against capitalism--I've always been a firm believer in laizze faire--but the word commodity leaps off the page as a joke almost every time I come upon it in reading, as if it means com-oddity, as the prefix com, like con, means with, I suppose, since the prefix com of comradery means with. I could go refer to my etymological dictionary upstairs, but you get the message.

More evidence today that these two ponds with beautiful water quality have been raped. Not a hit, and the tantalizing action of the inset rigged Senko-type worm drew strikes from two good sized pickerel in a half hour about the same time of year, same conditions, four years ago. The law allows yield, but it is sad when virtually all the fish in a pond are taken, and in nearly 50 years of fishing, I've never before encountered the problem as--only apparently, really--it seems to be here. I won't conclude that this is the case, and I didn't last year either, skunked twice. Likely, I'll be back to try again. But I don't stick around to nurse a losing environment; I move on to more fertile experience and keep it that way. 

2 comments:

  1. In 45 minutes this summer I took 6 Pickerel each well over a foot and a smallish Largemouth. All is not lost in the pond without the fountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the pond's not fished out. Were the weeds thick? Did you fish topwaters?

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered