Friday, July 25, 2014

More Fun with Big Jersey Bass


Only a couple of big swooshes from bankside with bass scooting deep gave any clue. Then the Chompers got taken on a long cast way out to a flat I happened to notice from back down along the bank before I approached the area, faint brown in contrast to green algae bloom. It was a big bass, probably about the size of the one photographed which hit further back right near shore. On the next cast, a 10-incher assaulted the worm as I quickly retrieved it back at surface for another cast. I usually allow little more than the initial drop, then try elsewhere.

As you can see, I tried using my remote today. I almost passed this up, but I'm glad I didn't. I placed the bass in the water while I set up along with my Gorillapod, just enough for the bass to breathe, still hooked. I got three shots and then something went wrong. I have to investigate if it's the remote's battery or not. I was happy I got something for the effort.

Walking out along schist cliffs, footing secure, I had actually leapt onto a big rock without a flat top to stand atop securely. I found that I was more sure footed than I would have thought. In my teens, I was a practiced dancer at this sort of thing. Now I balanced on the rock's two ridges and cast. Coming out among trees on the narrow trail, I felt I had had so much fun with the quick action and camera procedure. Actually, now I was having the most fun. It hits you as a rush right when everything is about complete.

I decided to try one more spot. One more cast. I got in position with an overhanging bush to my right. Water was at least three feet deep where I wanted to pitch the worm, exactly where the bush sort of forms an angle between the edge coming into shore, and the edge facing out horizontal to the bank. I wanted the worm to enter softly. The pitch was perfect. I nailed a dime.

Almost immediately, a big bass swooshed on the worm. I lowered the rod tip, tightened, and set. This was a bigger bass than I photographed, but it was on for only a second. Once again like last time, line broke. All that fun socked me in the reverse emotional direction. I guess since this was the second break-off in three outings here, it especially stung. I checked the six-pound test. Clean break. But it was no pickerel. My drag's well set. That was that and that was all.

I have a reel loaded with 15-pound Power Pro braid, and that's on my agenda for next time, along with 15-pound fluorocarbon leader. I like using light line test, but if the likes of this were to happen again, I would feel very foolish.

And I would deserve it. How's this for compromise? Cover is pronounced here, but not so thick as to necessitate braid. Nevertheless, I'm yielding.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered