Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Manville Raritan River

Duke's Park

Had to shop in Manville today, so I brought my tackle tote and a rod. Didn't have much time to fish, but I began at Duke's Park, municipal land owned by the Borough of Manville. Someone at work told me more than a week ago that he had tried here the day before. He showed me a photo of his three-pound smallmouth.

Some deep water--maybe four or five feet or a little more--exists in this stretch. I cast to shadows formed by trees, walking the bank. I did have a couple of small bass on and a sunfish.

I wanted to try near the bridge. I day or two after I had spoken to the guy at work, he enthusiastically told me that his friend had gone back and tried near the bridge, catching a four-pounder on an ultralight and four pound test.

I felt amazed at the extent of open land. It's all too easy to think the Manville-Bridgewater region is all built up. I never got to the river here. I tried, but wearing boat shoes and shorts, I didn't want to get muddy. I still had to go to Michaels to buy frames and mats, and besides, I don't want to ruin my casual shoes.

About 14 years ago, Matt and I fished by the bridge. It was easier to access the water. I never forget Matt, six or seven years old, walking into a deep hole while wading. He went over his head and the surprise wasn't pleasant for him. But I helped him out. No tears--nothing that bad. And we continued fishing.

Open land

Coming back around to my car by the bridge to Manville.



5 comments:

  1. Did not realize that turnoff was there by the bridge. You can also access at the 206 bridge, Peters Brook Greenway, there are trails, deep hole there too. I have always planned to launch the kayak at the park and work upstream to 206. Also, dump in the Manville Millstone Lincoln Ave Park and paddle down stream to the Raritan junction. That might be a good one to meet at sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to do that, are you thinking of my launching my canoe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have not thought of that logistic yet (my canoe is in two pieces, thank you ice storm!). You could invite another fishing friend, might be extra fun, I can kayak. Lets take the conversation to email. FM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came across your blog after getting skunked on the NO branch of Raritan. Enjoying the recent posts. I’ve been wading in the river near Miller Lane Park or going down to North Branch Park. I can’t get on the river until 11 at the earliest so I don’t expect much action. Still beautiful river and it feels great on these hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear of your appreciation for the river. That's most important, and yet if you want to catch smallmouths, they will hit after 11 in the morning and into the afternoon. Keep your eyes open & keep trying. Feel free to let me know how you do.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered