Monday, April 19, 2021

The One-Pound Test

I had the good sense to leave my camera bag home, though I did wear my GoPro on my head, in a non-waterproof case designed to allow for an external mic. (Talking to nobody there in the woods....hmmm.) But I paid $325.00 for the GoPro almost 10 years ago, which compares little to the 10K or so the bag is worth.

I crossed a current that threatened to drown me; well, which would at least cost me, had I carried that bag...all the more likely my foot would have slipped on those algae-covered rocks. I went underneath a low deadfall over the river. I waded up to my waist at the edge of a deep hole. I climbed a steep and rather unstable bank. 

In general, I joyfully risked my life as I like to do.

I also knew better than to bring Sadie. I would still be back there as it's getting dark now. In protest, Trish took her on a long walk. I'll tell her why, and she'll feel for my safety. Better the dog not get in trouble. 

It's been almost 10 years--October 6, 2011--since I've fished that stretch of river. "And then one day you find...." as Pink Floyd puts it. Shocked to realize it's been that long, I nevertheless saw the river has changed drastically. 

I was a long way downstream of the stocking point and miles upstream of the next. Using my one-pound test and tiny spinning rod & reel, I hooked a trout on my first cast, lost it, figuring "here we go." Turns out there aren't so many there. And others have had the same idea. Boot prints. I caught one, which did not die of lactic acid poisoning. I was recently criticized on a trout forum for using line so light. No, I get the trout in plenty fast. After all, they're just 10- and 12-inch hatchery fish. If you can't handle them on one-pound test, then go ahead. Use heavier as everyone else does.

I doubt anyone else in the entire nation uses one-pound test.


October 6, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered