Sunday, August 31, 2014

Culvert Attracts Bass after Rain


Stint at my neighborhood bass pond. You can see in the photograph the phosphate line extending from the culvert. We had some rain earlier, not enough to muddy water pretty turbid to begin with, but certainly to have put a scent trail out leading to the wash. Not that bass are privy to pollution. I guess other scents are more interesting to them.

I sailed a cast towards the concrete barrier and the worm struck down right on target, about two inches from the edge. The Strike King Senko-type descended perhaps a couple of feet, and I felt the tick, tightened the line, which visibly moved to the left into the center of the pool, and set the hook into a nice bass. It would have tipped the scale at over two pounds.

I cast to the culvert again and missed the hit from a small bass. Next I cast along the edge of the bank beyond, and got nothing. I moved further along towards the bunch of vegetation visible on shore in the photograph below and sailed a cast to splash the worm next to floating algae scum. The line jumped to life before the worm could have sunk a foot. I set the hook once the line tightened and a small bass waterskied across the surface to me, a bass between nine and ten inches long, relatively rare in this pond, which has been full of two-pounders for two or three years, although this year the fish population clearly seems to have decreased. 

I'm slightly concerned about the lack of algae mats. They're simply natural in this pond that gets a lot of road runoff, and never have affected negatively the multitudinous bass population. I must have fished 20 minutes.  

Light was lower than this appears compared to the bass photo. I shot the former on a setting w/flash and much faster shutter speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered