Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Stripers are In: that's the Word


Since I've completed work on an essay with a December 5th deadline--it needs to sit before final revision--I decided to make a run for the shore, arriving at Seaside Park shortly before sunset. By all the word I've heard, I hit it right this time. Bass are in. It's just that of the eight others I saw fishing--nothing at all. And all I caught was a 12-inch fluke that hit a fairly large Krocodile spoon, not the teaser. Nowadays they seem to be called Gator spoons. Way back in 2007, I caught a small striper on the same spoon I used this evening. Also used a Kastmaster and paddletail. Surf fairly rough, my needlefish remains wrapped in its packaging. I fished a nice, sort of tongue-shaped bar that extends outward, both pockets that broke the line of the breakers, as well as casting as I walked along in my Simms. Years back were good to my son and I, using fresh clams and bunker, but we never quite broke the 30-inch mark, though I once lost a bass that weighed at least 30 pounds. We never became more than committed visitors, living an hour or more away, but we must have surf fished half a dozen times a year.

Betty & Nicks said a lot of bass came off the beach today, including a 36-pounder. I decided today that if I have the money, I'm buying an SUV in retirement, and I'm going to LBI in November when bass are in and spend a whole week roaming beaches and the like.

I fished into dark. A nice time, and the waves have a way of calling you deeper into the elements. But once I got off the beach, I was happy with familiar civilization and snapped a shot of Park Pavilion to signify the value.

The camera that got fully submerged for at least two seconds in the Salmon River works! I tried it before leaving, was able to reset the time, so I put the file card in, snapped a shot, and there it was...there these shots are, too. Matt told me to put the camera and lens in dry rice, so in Pulaski I bought rice and a container to fit all of it. My high end Tokina lens is being repaired back to factory spec for $229.80, and that's a deal, considering the cost of a new Tokina. I'm loyal to my equipment, although I want to someday move on to a full-frame camera and appropriate lenses. All that is very costly, but I just don't know that I won't be able to afford it. Perhaps I will be able.

 Last I was here, beach was open on down to Seaside Park Pier, I think, though I've been here since Sandy...
Park Pavilion

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered