Friday, January 19, 2018

Getting Ready for Some More

Mike Maxwell came over last night, and we examined the auger blades. There's no need for me to blame Advanced Power Equipment in Martinsville, because the blades got worked on, we determined. But they don't work, so Mike suggested I buy new blades. What I found online in the reviews is very encouraging, so I expect that once the blades come by UPS, and I get back out on the ice, the auger will cut like new. The cost was only about $23.00.

Plans include a Tuesday with Mike and Joe Landolfi on Lake Hopatcong, and a Saturday morning with Oliver Round on Thomas Edison's former quarry. I'm fairly well informed that is the place. I know mild weather is in the forecast, but I'm fairly confident this "real" season, as I called it about a month ago, is here to stay with us for awhile yet.

Looking ahead to the new trout season around the corner, I'm sure I'll get out with my micro-light spinning gear and Mike Maxwell once or twice. Brook trout won't be stocked, but some of our streams have natives, which for now on are protected for catch and release only. Like every new rule that aims to better the human experience, there's a minor downside. I've written articles that persuade for catch and release when it comes to native trout, but in them I've also written that keeping at least one native over the course of fishing for them to take home and cook may be a good idea. Brook trout are a traditional delicacy, and who would want to miss out?  So go to  New Hampshire. Go to Maine. So long as the meal isn't outlawed there. Last I fished in New Hampshire, summer 2009, I caught a nine-inch native brookie from the Saco River and cooked it over the campfire of my son and I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered