Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Walton and Charles


The Izaak Walton League of America is another of the many organizations reaching my inbox, and perusing the latest connection, I felt moved to ask, "So what do we do to protect our natural heritage"? I don't mean to suggest I have a ready answer, but if you like, you can click on the link I leave for you, at bottom.

And who was Izaak Walton? In the wide-ranging reading of outdoor literature I engage, I once came upon a line that humored me a little, that he's the classic (wrote The Compleat Angler) every angler knows about, but has never read. Of course, I've read his book, but I'm obsessed with words and ideas, and have to suck everything written into my head. That's impossible word by word, but I listen to Pink Floyd, too, and my favorite line from them, sung, "Breathe, breathe in the air."

To get to the dark side of the moon, you have to realize the globe was orbited, first.

Walton was English. But I like the League's American title best, even though Walton's quest for the king, Charles II, does not reflect well on current national politics. I'll leave you with that hint. Future book(s) of mine might be more forthcoming.


http://www.iwla.org/publications/conservation-currents/article/conservation-currents-march-2018/iwla-disappointed-in-president-s-conservation-budget-request

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered