Monday, November 25, 2013

Trout Options for Reservoir Winter; 35 Degrees with Arctic Ducks


Managed to fish Round Valley twice since I last fished, at Lake Hopatcong with Oliver, November 2nd. I've had some serious trouble with sciatica and while I kept busy with other things, fishing wasn't something I could do. Thursday last week I had a hit from a trout on the marshmallow and mealworm just a couple of minutes after the half-ounce egg sinker took hold. Today, nothing, but it was fully worth being out there, no disappointment at all.

After fishing all fall, winter, and into April last year, I'm fully familiar with how slow this fishing is after some possible fast action in October and perhaps November near the main boat ramp. Some guys caught some on artificials last winter--Redfin plugs, Binsky bladebaits, spinners, Kastmasters. Someone casting Redfin plugs claimed he was catching a lot of browns. Since I like to take it slow and get reading in, I probably won't follow suit with lures, but fish two lines instead of one and possibly some shiners pretty soon. I have lake trout in mind, but the chances of catching one seem to remain slim. The reservoir is loaded with them up to about six pounds, but the rainbows and browns are chiefly the species in close for the winter. And they have many of miles of shoreline to cruise, which involves why fishing is typically slow.

I met two birders and saw a few others. All I spotted was a loon, but heard report of a bufflehead duck, eared grebe, coots, and a common merganser besides. So birds that summer in the arctic are here--buffleheads with their white-barred wings that look like strobe lights in flight.



4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you have serious trouble with sciatica. I had sciatica trouble last year and I was able to cure myself doing this exercises i found in YOUTUBE. You may need some help if you want to try.

    1. How to Fix Piriformis Syndrome
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

    2. Back Pain: The Doorway Hamstring Stretch For Treating Back Pain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kFBfgavg_o

    3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIBHcREljk


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Carrot--forgot to hit the Reply button again. My message is below this one on Trout Options...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the information. Think I'm going into physical therapy soon--learn exercises. It's basically herniated disks in my back. Pretty bad, but I think exercises will keep it under control.

    Hope you've been fishing. This time of year, that can be tough. Those pike should be there at Spruce Run by late March.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bruce... Stay healthy to continue reading your articles...

    ReplyDelete

Comments Encouraged and Answered