Monday, February 24, 2014

Peek at the Round Valley Ice Fishing Scene


I phoned Landolfi over the weekend, hoping we would get out on Hopatcong, but plans fell through. I'm not in shape yet with my bad back to go alone or to rely on my son to do all the work. Today and last week, I stopped and checked out the Round Valley scene. I've heard of some browns as large as 20 inches being caught, and people have been fishing lakers in deep water. Today I spoke to someone coming off the ice who had caught a 21-incher. On the other side of the dike near the launch ramp, the swimming pond has been good for pickerel, nice fish over two pounds being caught.

Much of the reservoir ice is about a foot thick. It's not visible in the photograph, but some of the water out there remains open. I wondered today how long it will be before I can return to my short stints fishing open water trout. Could be sometime well into March, but in any event, most likely before I begin bass fishing.

Incidentally, the Knee Deep Club is planning another ice fishing derby, set for Sunday, March 16th. You don't have to be a member to participate, but there is a small entry fee of $25.00 for non-members. The ice is about 18 inches thick on the lake and isn't going away anytime soon. Lots of fish are being caught.

 Fishing for browns and rainbows in close.
Fishing for pickerel and bass in the 30 acre swimming pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered