Monday, May 4, 2015

Skunked on the North Branch Raritan


Eighty five degrees this afternoon, I thought the trout would rise this evening. This time I made sure to tie that Adams on ahead of the event. I'm driven by the memory of catching browns on dries a couple of years ago. I have never before seen so many rises happening at once as one May evening when I took a bike ride on the Bedminster Hike & Bike Trail--no fly rod in hand.

Besides some small flying bugs--midge-size--nothing hatched, and maybe that's because the water quality could be better; I don't know. I fished the tail-out of the fast water I photographed, where I did see a splash rise. The only rise I saw in the half hour I fished. I let that Adams drift over where the trout came up more than a dozen times.

Then I fished the slow water where surely plenty rainbows continue to lurk since being stocked Wednesday.

Maybe later in the month. Or maybe browns are better risers. I don't know. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered