Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Hankering to Get Out

Another day off and this wintry weather still persists. Not only is it chilly today, besides some days forecast for the mid 50's, the 10-day forecast well into April offers no relief. At least trout will hit, but I wouldn't mind trying Bedminster Pond, and I went online inquiring about Pompton Lake last night, as its northern pike have me a little fascinated. I've been up there, but never fished it before. Other possibilities came to mind last night, too. Over the course of the past decade, my son and I together, especially, have hit a lot of the waters here in the state's northern tier, some places to the south, too, but a lot remains yet to explore, and I don't want to die feeling I didn't get around to more. I recalled Mike Maxwell and I going to Mountain Lake last June, a new place for both of us, and the memory of pulling into lake view and circling the 138 acres, I believe is the amount, is very, very appealing. We caught nice bass, too, sighted a musky.

It's a real world out there I haven't visited in a while.

Fred Matero and I have kept a running dialogue for what, five years now, about places to fish in this northern tier. He's gone where I haven't yet, and vice versa. I never forget telling him about Hoffman Park and giving the pond a thumbs down, but he went and tried it anyway, catching a four-pound largemouth! Noel Sell and I do the same, and Oliver Round has secrets plenty about little wild trout streams.

The world is Nada without engaging its geography. And so, we do.

I got word from https://www.raritanheadwaters.org/  Raritan Headwaters Association by email, had forgotten the spring river and stream cleanup. I participated a few years ago, which proved to be a very nice morning, encourage any of you to do the same, or become citizen scientists through the stream monitoring program. Though I haven't done that, I do know it involves the side benefit of discovering macro-invertebrates, which fish feed on. Many of the streams have wild trout. In the email sent, there's an excellent photo of a spring peeper frog, mention of which I read before viewing, reminding me that I haven't heard a single one yet this early season, making this year the latest in all my New Jersey life to have heard any. And as I said--not yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered