Saturday, June 16, 2018

Just bought a Lew's Speed Stick

Just bought a Lew's Speed Stick (spinning) and Ardent Bolt spinning reel. Lew's Speed Stick I seem to remember from way back when I constantly read Bassmaster magazine as a teen, so I identified with the offer on Ebay immediately. As fortune would have it, I spent the next half hour scrolling down lists of specs on other rods, and felt convinced nothing else would serve better, and though I was tempted to spend some more on a St. Croix bass rod, since St. Croix is my favorite brand and gives me a lofty feeling, I just couldn't deny Lew's, not after somehow or other riveting upon the brand so many years ago.

It's medium-heavy. Seven feet. The other day on Tilcon, I horsed a nice bass from weeds and felt the near-breaking point of my medium power St. Croix. I've owned this rod since 2000 and there's no way I will let it break. So I need Lew's. At least I think this one is heavy enough. It's rated up to 14 pound test, which isn't really much; I'm using 15-pound Power Pro on my St. Croix, and that's why it almost broke. I want #20 on my Lew's, and for all I really know, it may break, but I've muscled a lot of good bass on my lighter rod, so I feel halfway confident the Lew's will work out.

Tilcon Lake is just too weedy and the possibility of a really big bass is just too great.

I own an offshore jigging rod with a light tip--I was warned against its pier use when I tried it there--and can you believe that rod is rated up to #100?

If Lew's breaks, I'll up the ante. But I'm thinking of a very extreme situation that will never happen, I guess. We shall see..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered