Saturday, August 4, 2018

In the Rain


I must be getting a little confused as I age. Got to Mount Hope Pond in heavy rain at 5:00 a.m., 15 minutes ahead, I thought, of plans made with a friend, wondering if he would show up. When I phoned him at 5:17, I thought it a little odd his phone wasn't on, and then I ventured out in the lingering dark and rain soon thereafter, sure he wasn't coming. After a few casts, I remembered we planned on Sunday.

Just as well I made the trip, because the pond is pretty badly stained, definitely not water I want to worm. I fished in the rain for more than an hour, finding more accessibility for topwater fishing than I had expected, catching a 13-inch largemouth and missing a hit from a smaller bass or a pickerel.

In rain like that, I would have expected more and bigger, but I was just left wondering what the bass do for food in such off-color water. I could have thrown a spinnerbait, but for the most part, Mount Hope's tight quarters make that sort of fishing frustrating.

4 comments:

  1. if you are coming to Puerto vallarta fishing check out http://www.travelvallarta.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bruce,

    Been a casual fisherman over the years, but recently I've been wanting to get more into the freshwater scene. I actually live just a few minutes down the road from Mount Hope Pond, but never realized its fishing potential until reading your blog. I love all the information, and plan on checking it out when the Spring arrives. Much appreciated!

    Greg M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does fish pretty slow, but the bass are usually pretty big. Best to your fishing and feel free to let me know how you do.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered