Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Killie Skunker

Just got back from fishing the North Branch with my son. Killies we took home after Island Beach State Park survived in an aerated bucket while we were away on vacation.

I told Matt, "If smallmouth always hit, we wouldn't respect them as much."

"Yeah, like sunnies."

"They don't always hit, either."

"I don't think there's been one time I couldn't get them to hit something small."

So I told him about my attempt at catching them in Stony Brook on a cold January day. (When I was 12.) Not a hit.

"Well, yeah, during winter."

This morning I watched a 17-incher nose around a wriggling killie, refusing to take, after it swam slowly along some rocks my way after ignoring Matt's killie.. I later watched a nine-incher take that killlie broadside. Then the fish expelled the bait. The only hit I got. Something else sort of took Matt's. The only killie he used. Maybe a sunfish. I watched an 11-inch smallmouth stare at a killie in front of its nose and then slowly swim away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered