Thursday, January 9, 2020

Got Over to Round Valley



I put a base layer on, under wool pants and a sweater, and with my son left for The Sporting Life to buy a half dozen shiners and our new fishing licenses. I had two rods still rigged from last time we fished Round Valley, and the tackle for Matt to rig another when we got there, minus any Styrofoam to float a shiner on that third line. (We've caught trout on shiners without Styrofoam before, I think.)

Then I left him alone on that big point at Lot 2. I walked a quarter mile or so to a widely exposed area of former reservoir floor. This proved to be the photo shoot I promised myself last I was there. After I had spent about a half hour shooting, I realized, once I was back with Matt and Fred and the lines out for trout, that I could have used the 70-200mm lens to get a collapsing effect of space between rocks in the foreground and the North Tower distant. Or is it the South Tower? My directions aren't sure. I got really good shots of it today, but I'm saving them, just in case I need them for any magazine use.

I stood out there shooting for at least a half hour. Maybe it was nearly an hour. I got 80 shots. The wind seemed to rip right through me, but since I worked with my hands, I never noticed the redness and never felt the pain until I was done. Standing out in the cold wind made me play those photos pretty fast and loose, while I supported the camera on a monopod, but the quality surprised me after we got home.

Matt wasn't eager to quit. He would have stood out there in that cold another hour. He wanted a laker.

It was a sad end for me. Matt might have to spend another 60 hours at it, for all I know, to ever catch one of those fish. Maybe longer than that. In other words, it's likely he'll never catch one.

We rode over to the main launch for more shots. That's when it snowed as if it is really winter, but for about three or four minutes. I'm afraid it won't be long before it never snows in New Jersey. I felt surprised to see it today.


The snow squall was enough for a dusting. The boat is involved with the work at the dam. At least, I had seen it leave that area and go around the bend, powered by much more than 10 horsepower. I don't know what the construction vehicle is for. (This shot from the main launch area.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered