Thursday, May 28, 2020

Thought on Why I Use Blogger

Going on five years ago,  I got the idea of transferring Litton's Fishing Lines to a website domain I would own. I worked alone in a building we at the country club called the WH, and I had plenty of down time to research possibilities online. For various reasons, I decided to stay here on Blogger. It's not that any of you would have lost track of the blog; a transfer would have kept site location intact.

I feel Blogger is more of a public space than is a domain the blogger owns. I feel that if you own the domain, there's no avoiding the glare of class exclusivity, which I associate with upscale sites. I don't mean to fault sincere bloggers. I mean to point out that although Google (which hosts Blogger) is corporate, it is so ubiquitous as to possess commonality. That said, I do, of course, retain copyright for my work, crucially important to me as it would be to any writer or photographer with sense.

Most people seem to feel more value exists where class is implied. With respect to cost, true. And yet, since I pay about $22.00 each year to use Blogger, it's quite possible I would pay less by owning a domain. I would have to spend more time, however, to transfer the blog--on research to learn how to go about doing it and about which domain to buy. Hiring services to do a transfer is expensive, and I wouldn't want to depend on my son to do it. It would seem wise to have done more research in 2011 before I began blogging, but because I found Blogger was free (up to so many megabytes of space used), I had very little money, and the appearance and format of the blog appealed to me, I chose it.

And the more I use Blogger, the more it appeals. It doesn't have a fancy organization by which readers can access posts, but then again, all I do is label a post by a simple click, and it's there for any reader to find by clicking on a word or two under Labels. Then he simply scrolls back by order of date. Or he can click on a date range under Blog Archive. Simple enough. As I say, I like the brownish color theme suggestive of November, too. But mostly, the more I blog, the more I become aware that to have a voice in society is a political act. By no means do I mean a voice limited to either mainstream political party. I've always been politically independent, and if my view has a simple core, it might come across as complex, difficult, and as a work in progress, rather than as any agenda put across. Since Google is open to anyone with a computer, the commonality implied appeals to me, because I believe in neither a politics of money, nor of poverty.

Wampum is a Symbol Better than Money    

2 comments:

Comments Encouraged and Answered