Friday, October 23, 2020

Mustad Bronze

Could have bought 100 #10 treble hooks from Amazon for three dollars more, but they are corrosion resistant, so I bought 25 #10 bronze Mustad trebles. Sometimes a fish takes the hook deep, and bronze hooks rust out. Corrosion resistant? Obviously seems less likely they would.

Many would say I shouldn't use trebles for bait. They block food passage if caught in the gut. I shouldn't even use single-prong. Only circle hooks. Anything but a little treble complicates a live herring's freedom in the water. Single-prong hooks turn inward on the herring's eye, while a treble mounts on its head like a crown. I'm not altogether sold on the idea that little treble hooks block food passage, particularly in the case of larger fish, but I hate it when a fish I intend to release gets hooked deeply. Even if it's a yellow perch. 

I set the hook as quickly as I get to the rod and tighten the line.

Got these hooks on my 60th birthday today. I was thinking I may never use them. Bottom fishing live herring doesn't interest me as much as it used to. But suddenly it occurred to me that sometime in the future, my son and I might get that next chance to do it, which we talked about the last time, October 2016, when he was a senior in high school. 

Maybe the little square pack of hooks will wait for him on a shelf.

(He just now phoned as I proofread.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered