Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The Wrong Way to Hold a Fish


Ever since Andy Still criticized me for holding the bass in the photo that way, I've always held them either straight up and down, or have supported the body underneath by my other hand. It's really best to support the fish with two hands; even when held straight--lipping a bass, for instance--the strain might cause the fish damage.

But to bend the neck--no, don't do that. Think of the strain of all that body weight on the neck. Will a fish survive it? Maybe not.

In any event, the bass photographed probably died, because it was a bleeder. I did release it, hoping the bleeding would stop. 


Saffin Pond

4 comments:

  1. I caught a bass very similar in size from the same pond back in late June so maybe it was the same one- it was near to after dark and the Beavers kept slapping the surface

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beavers there are cool. Mine was caught in 2016, so if still alive, a lot bigger.

      Delete
  2. I was there yday, sent you a pic too. I held it the right way btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jorge, I don't find the pic on my phone, but I'm real glad you got over there and caught one. Pesca Door is the perfect name for a Google account.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered