Monday, March 15, 2021

Gave Bedminster Pond a Try

Open Water in North-Central Jersey

With Daylight Savings Time, I had time to fish after work today. Other days, I don't get off until 7:30. Thirty-nine degrees out when I arrived at Bedminster Pond before sunset, I had earlier thought that I seem to have always avoided fishing here when it's below 50. Sometimes a bass will hit a spinner when the water temp is down in the 40's. I thought of that shallow bottom absorbing abundant sunlight and warming a little better than the air temp. And then I got there and cast for a half hour or so.

Best moment involved a split second when my favorite rod, a St. Croix medium power, released vivid memory, the feeling of its effectiveness during the normal season, the pride I take in it when I'm regularly catching largemouths over three pounds. Actually, that memory came more from the years I fished the banks of certain ponds. Good ones where I can count on bass that big. Since I've been fishing lakes more in recent years, I probably catch more of my bass on my medium-heavy Speed Stick. 

I was just thinking at work today that when I retire, I want to fish especially one of those ponds I used to fish.

 
Light-weight spinner I built from component parts. The hollow nickel beads are light, but I managed 50-foot casts.

2 comments:

  1. When you retire, come be my neighbor!!! FM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will! And enjoy the drive, too. It's perfect. Where you live is like going home for me.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered