Monday, October 11, 2021

Tried Where the River's Even Smaller


Brought rod, tackle, camera to work, and afterwards--forgot. I was well on the way to Interstate 78 when I remembered, so I decided to fish well upstream of where I would have fished in Gillette. I figured, I already know pike exist down there. Sooner or later, I would try up here to find out what I can.

On my second cast, I twitched the #9 Rapala and got hit, but it could have been a sunfish. The river up here has less holding water than down below, but why would pike swim upstream as far as Gillette and not keep on going? So I made sure to fish any breaks in the uniform flow, as I made my downstream. Those included leaves grouped together behind branches in the water, a downed tree, boulders, other branches. None produced so much as a wake. If there were any pike on these spots, my plug didn't interest them.

I fished pretty far on down, and you would figure that if any pike--or bass--are in the river, they'd relate to those breaks in the flow. 

There're pickerel in the river, too. At least there are for certain on down below. I know of catches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered