Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tried a Pond New to Me for Bass



 

Got news of action here in Clinton, but I've left it to the youthful talent to show me up once more. Brenden caught 10 or 12 largemouths that warm day just before it turned cold, on a little jig and Z-Man plastic. One or two them 16 inches, he told me. I got over there early in the afternoon when it was 64 degrees, and very soon felt it would be a late bite. I saw no evidence of any fish, as I worked my way around to the back where there's a flat.

I was throwing an old favorite, the Johnson Beetle Spin, my "Beat Spinner" as I play with the name, which is basically a spinnerbait, but you can detach the spinner arm and just fish the jig, if you want. All 1/8th ounce of it casts pretty well on my St. Croix, the reel loaded with 6-pound mono. 

Something little did whack it, because I saw it carried to the side, though I didn't see the fish! I continued further around the pond, fishing the side that had got the most sun, and as I say, it was shallow and that muddy bottom was warming. I saw three large carp wallowing in that warmth like pigs. A pleasant thing to see. 

Saw no bass. No sunnies. No crappies. And Brennan had also caught a 13-inch crappie.  

Later on, I was at Round Valley shooting photos, and after I left, I got 70 degrees. Maybe it will hit 80 on Friday, and if so, that will be some evening to fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered