Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Round Valley Options

I got my stuff down by the water ahead of Fred, and while I began sticking rod holders into mud submerged an inch or two (the ground frozen), I heard a whoop, looked, and saw one of the guys nearby with a rod doubled over. As I approached him, I feared I would see a laker in the net, which is just what I saw. Nineteen-incher.

Fred shuffled down with his stuff, and I told him about the fish. Then I asked if he had a bucket in his car.

"No, I just took it out."

Later on, Fred told me he didn't even think of them, but I had debated in my head a little over whether to bring shiners or not. I finally decided it isn't a laker day. Thirty-five degrees not cold enough. Deep down, though, I just didn't want the hassle. I've been busy. The least I could have done was think of putting a bucket in my trunk. I didn't think.

I could have taken a quick ride to the Sporting Life for a dozen-and-a-half. 

Fred and I fished about three-and-a-half hours. Something took a piece of one of his marshmallow and mealworms, but I think that was a sunfish. Unless a trout would actually bite a piece off a little marshmallow. His rod tip did jiggle a couple of times. 

The guys next to us had caught four lakers and lost another at the net when we packed to go. The biggest 23 inches. Smallest 18. Two other guys near us had two lakers from where I fished with my family in November. One on Power Bait. One on a shiner. They appeared to be about 18 and 20 inches. I had fished orange Power Bait the whole time. No takers.

Fred and had sat on foldout chairs, talking constantly. He's lived down the shore two years as of tomorrow. Talking never ended until we each drove off in separate vehicles. In the parking lot, I told him about my dream of creating a book of Lake Hopatcong photos, in addition to Round Valley, but that I'll probably have to self-publish. I added that I might have to self-publish the trout book, too, but that there are many more options today for doing that. I made some comment or other about having options of all sorts once I retire in two years and some. He told me as much from experience, since he's been retired for more than two years. You have options. 

Had options today, too. So maybe next time.








 

2 comments:

  1. Putting that bucket back in the car today!! Great time yesterday, catch or no catch (Dentist went well too). Go get them next week with Matt. Merry Christmas to you and the family!! FM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you & yours, Fred. One of my Christmas gifts is a cover lid for my five gallon bucket! I know that ahead of time.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered