Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Trout Ignoring Salmon Eggs




My idea of what the situation would be proved wrong. Early in the season, I'm used to a strong flow and relatively dark water. Trout eagerly take salmon eggs when the river is in that condition. So many days after Opening Day, no replenishing stocking as yet, I might have taken only three or four before they stopped hitting. The typical deal. The understanding is that you can move on to another spot and pick up two or three, maybe four or five there, and so on. If you want to keep fishing and maybe even make a day of it.

Instead, the water was very low, very clear, and moving slowly. Intense sunlight overhead. I immediately got the feeling it wouldn't be easy.

There weren't many trout visible, either. Not until I made my way downstream, which didn't take long. 

Trout all over the place. For the most part, they ignored my eggs. Once and awhile, one would nose up towards an egg, and turn when it got within four or five inches. Once, I tossed an egg and a trout took it. That made me think they were shy of my two-pound test leader. I chucked a couple more eggs and they just ended up on the river bottom, so maybe not.

I kept at the fish, and eventually I had a taker on. Lost it, kept trying. Another eventually took an egg. Missed that hit. Finally I caught one, and though I kept at them for another 15 or 20 minutes, no more takers. 

On the way out, I spotted a rainbow about 24 inches long. I worked at that fish for 10 minutes or so. Completely ignored my eggs. 

How to Fish Salmon Eggs




 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got out for some trout. I went to the Tuckerton Lake Saturday. 640 trout stocked, about 10 fish caught. The Ospreys and Cormorants ate well the last two weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, in Tuckerton, forget it. Thought of next week today. Will be in touch soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Encouraged and Answered