Monday, March 11, 2024

Georgia Yellow Perch Has New Jersey Beaten


Round Valley Reservoir

 Southern Fishing News A tie for the Georgia state record yellow perch at two pounds, nine ounces was recently made by angler Emerson Mulhull. The fish measured 16 inches long, and my first impression was that it had to be smaller than New Jersey's record. But I checked, and ours is two pounds, six ounces from Holiday Lake, 1989. Since I'm witness to Lake Hopatcong yellow perch 14 inches long, I figured they must grow considerably larger here. More than 16 inches. 

Put into perspective by the south. 

I'll be passing through Georgia, I hope, in two years from this past January, as I plan my Florida trip. I might spend some time in Georgia, although as yet, I don't know where to fish. I have caught fish in that state long ago, but way up in the mountains, when I discovered a small trout stream while hiking the Appalachian Trail. Caught wild rainbows. Good eight-, nine-inch fish.

I'm certainly interested in catching big largemouths in Florida. Brian Cronk wants to meet me down there, and in addition to fishing the Keys for big saltwater gamefish, try Rodman Reservoir for big largemoths. He's good at bass fishing, but we hope Florida has our big ones up here beat. 

I'm driving down. Brian will fly down and I'll meet him at the airport. Fred Matero is my inspiration for the driving and he would be great to meet at the airport, too. 

Ice Perch

3 comments:

  1. Meet me at the airport or sure, lol!!! Would love a shot at Peacock Bass in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami canals too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realized, Holiday Lake, that is my go to kayak spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have a blast. The plan is to rent a center-console & stay on Big Pine Key a few days. Then Rodman & the canals. Only problem could be wind. We might want to rent like a 24-footer, though, because besides Brian, someone he knows, Michael Modrak, might come.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered