Friday, September 15, 2017

Water Plans

Looking ahead to tomorrow. Plan on fishing Round Valley Reservoir for bass from shore, thanks to Fred Matero, who wrote me recently about hooking a big one. I've got my sunglasses ready. Look for those deeper spots in view. Lenny might ham it up over his best friend's name mentioned once again, but Fred gets some credit on this one, as I wouldn't have thought to do this without his recent initiative. I was thinking, instead, of casting metals for rainbow trout soon. This would have to wait at least a week, maybe two.

By the time this writing posts, it will be just after midnight. I'm doodling with words. Recently, I noted an interruption affecting the quality of what I write. Got over that pretty well in the previous post.

You never know how these outings turn out. I re-read some of my Lehigh River post minutes ago. It speaks of expecting no more than some good photos, but what do you know; I came upon fish. "...we never know until we have completed a full effort."

That said, nothing's more important than the mind at work in planning. If you're going somewhere. My father was always meticulous at planning and still functions this way at 82. He's away at Notre Dame University as I write, still active and vital. I enjoyed alcoholism during my teens, but this never swayed me from planning the events of my life. One of my favorite activities at school was planning a week ahead in the privacy of my mind.

I've always felt my father's too constrained by his plans, but I never quite make the mistake of judging him adversely on this. After all, he's the man who just completed a great trip in Europe last week, and I'm the guy working in a supermarket. But I know how to improvise upon a plan so something great is achieved, rather than sticking compulsively to a preconception.

This is what I always want coming away from an outing. A feeling of grandeur that isn't vacuous and loose as if filled only with spirit--or hot air. Fisherman feel familiar with water. And if my statistic is correct, about 98% of the human body is made of water. This is a substance--H2O--perhaps more earthy and human than any other.

2 comments:

  1. Fred this, Fred that......blah blah blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm at Round Valley this morning, take a cast, sit on my haunches. Then I lay back and right as my head is about to rest in my clasped hands, I get a phone call. Fred. He read this post. Says he wanted to fish with me & wasn't sure I was going this morning or Saturday. Well. I would fish with him tomorrow morning, but thought of my wife first. We're going to Chester for breakfast. But I will fish with Fred soon. Maybe you can come along sometime.

      Delete

Comments Encouraged and Answered