Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Fished Deep and Shallow



Felt surprised Lake Hopatcong's water temp was 57, and relieved, but I guess that with such light penetration, little chop at the surface to break it up, the hybrids and walleye just weren't going to comply. Mark did seem to have one or the other on a Binsky for a moment, but other than that, he caught two yellow perch on a jig with a spinner underneath. A Roadrunner..

We had taken the ride in Mark's 22-foot Tidewater center console to the State Park, casting worms in close. I thought I had a pick up, but after I felt no resistance upon setting the hook, I believed the sense of line moving had been caused by the boat moving. It realistically seemed to be a take, though. 

Afternoon temperatures might have hit 70. We did have chilly weather for three or four days prior. One morning, my car thermometer registered 26 degrees as I drove to work. It was below freezing four consecutive mornings, I think. Mark took his boat out the other day, and the first question I put to him was, "What was the water temperature?"

"50.8," he told me. 

Even that was some relief. Once it gets below 50, I don't feel comfortable about catch prospects. Other guys go on vertical jigging through December, and they catch walleye, but while I've caught plenty of cold water fish, including December walleye from the Delaware, at least right now I'd rather fish warmer. 

Mark had to go to work after we quit shortly after 3 p.m. He's working late into the night. Me? Right now I'm off for the week, and it feels more natural than when I have to work, as if that would surprise anyone. 

Mexican restaurant


Some nice fish on bait balls.

Lee's Cove
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered