Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Headed West

Last August at the Finger Lakes, the "Superhost," as online hype has it about Air B&B, gave me a couple of fly rods passed down from his deceased father. One of them is an entry level Orvis. Found that out by calling Orvis, after I found the rod was fractured and imagined a way to graft the break. They told me my idea wouldn't work. I've kept the rod in case some idea might, but in any event, I like the Cortland five-weight matched with an old Medalist that Superhost gave me, also.

In the Sierras next week, I think I'll just use that Medalist. All a fly reel is, basically, is a way to contain the fly line. I would say the drag is essential...if you're fishing steelhead. But by what I've gathered, a 12-inch rainbow where we'll fish is a lunker. 

It's the line I like. I don't know if Superhost's Dad put Cortland five-weight on the reel, but whatever it is casts really nicely on that rod. Don't think I'll bother stripping it off the Medalist and cranking it onto my Fly Rise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered