Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Shipetaukin Creek

Traveled to Mercer County this afternoon, needing to visit Lawrence Township Public Library for information on a former business in town. The book on fishing stockers I've written and hope to find a publisher for mentions the "Allied Van Lines" warehouse at Carnegie Road and U.S. Highway 1. At least I believe that's what the warehouse housed during the 70's was, but I need to know. 

Have also had in mind (for years) checking the temperature of Shipetaukin Creek at Carter Road, where it is a freestone stream, but almost certainly not the home of native brook trout, as someone I knew in high school suggests. I know brook trout stocked in Assunpink Creek--into which the Shipetaukin flows--made their way up the Shipetaukin a half mile or so to the old chicken farm, because guys would fish them on lunch break. Brookies also made their way up Little Shabakunk Creek a mile where I caught them. They made their way up Shipetauken some three miles to Carter Road, too, where the high school friend caught them. That's my story. 

Water temperature was 77 degrees, as I expected. No anomalous spring creek there. I've read that temperatures much higher than 70 degrees are lethal for brook trout. It hasn't even been particularly hot during the past week or so. That creek's water temp will go higher than it was today.




Shabakunk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Encouraged and Answered