Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Got Over to a Favorite Spot


Would've been an odd year had I never fished my favorite river bass spot. I know I like to let old haunts go and find new water, but after 14 years here, I doubt this one will ever pass before I do.

I like to be in the water wading well before sunup, but I was up late last night, so I didn't get to the river until well after 11:00. I cast that little paddletail jig into shadow remaining out from the bank facing me, but after more than a dozen casts working the hole's headwaters in addition to that shade, all I got was one hit, which might have been a sunfish.

I started working my way down towards the tree with the rope swing (what's left of it), and about midway, had some action on a Senko. I missed a hit and then another. That second fish pulled my four-incher off the hook. 

So I made my way back for another, took note of the fact that I had used black when the water is almost gin-clear and the sun is high overhead. Switched to white/green. Five inches. That also worked, in the same spot. I hooked a bass for a second that felt half decent. Then another one pulled THAT Senko off the hook. This time I attached my O-ring tool to my belt, and put Senkos in a pocket.

Never had need of either, but I caught a couple of average stream bass. The second one I caught as I was nearly done fishing, near where I placed my camera bag, so I got a shot of that one. Had to leave because I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, and I had left my mobile device in my car, possibly to roast in the heat. Whatever the eventuality, I didn't know what time it was.

I got home plenty early, feeling really good about having got over there. I have done well in midday heat other times there, but it always seem a really good bass is vulnerable to a topwater plug early.


 Nice calm surface

2 comments:

Comments Encouraged and Answered